Is olive oil good for your hair?
In addition to its nutritional and medicinal properties, olive oil is also known to have many benefits for your hair. Forget your usual hair products – olive oil can be used to:
- Hydrate your hair.
- Reduce split ends.
- Prevent an itchy scalp.
- Slow hair loss and enable faster growth.
- Recover strength and shine.
Olive oil hair treatments
You’ll be surprised to hear that some homemade treatments using only olive oil can be much more efficient than many of the cosmetic hair products that are to be found in your local stores. This article highlights some of the most effective olive oil treatments for your hair.
Olive oil hair masks
Olive oil can be applied as a DIY hair mask to hydrate your hair and bring it some much needed nutrients. Oil naturally helps keep hair untangled and gives it a shiny and healthy appearance. Here’s how to apply a hair mask:
- Spread olive oil evenly throughout the hair.
- Massage the oil from the roots to the tips.
- Leave to act for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the hair well with plenty of warm water.
- Repeat once a week for long-lasting effect.
Olive oil for hair growth
Applying olive oil to your hair regularly nourishes follicles and helps hair grow faster and stronger. Here’s how to use olive oil for hair growth:
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of oil into a container (the amount of oil will vary depending on the length of your hair).
- Heat the oil in a container in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Dampen your hair with warm water.
- Apply the olive oil from the scalp to the tips.
- Cover your hair with a towel and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse the hair with plenty of warm water then wash it with your favorite shampoo.
Olive oil against frizzy hair
Yes, olive oil is your perfect ally to help combat frizzy hair. Frizzy hair appears as a result of having dry hair and brittle ends. As a natural moisturizer, olive oil helps tame those brittle ends and smooths down split ends. This time the process is slightly different to the two listed above:
- Apply a small amount of olive oil on your finger tips.
- Massage your hair lightly for a couple of minutes.
- Let the oil soak up without rinsing the hair.
- Repeat the process once a week for long-lasting effect.
Olive oil for hair tips
The nutrients provided by olive oil seal split ends, hydrate the hairs and prevent breakage and dryness.
- Pour a little olive oil into the palms of your hands.
- Lightly massage the olive oil into the tips of your hairs.
- Leave to act overnight. We recommend you use a shower cap to avoid staining your pillow case and sheets.
- Repeat weekly for continued effects.
Recommendations on using olive oil for hair care
We’ve seen that olive oil can be used in a number of ways to treat your hair. Each method is used with a different purpose in mind, yet we can compile some general recommendations that apply to all types of treatments.
- Use extra virgin olive oil. Although most edible types of olive oil may be used to treat your hair, Extra Virgin Olive Oil is often recommended as the best option to nourish your hair as it deeply penetrates the hair shaft and seals in moisture.
- Apply from scalp to tips. It’s the best way to ensure you’ve covered the whole hair without missing out the scalp. If your hair naturally tends to be oily, we recommend only applying olive oil to the tips.
- Always massage lightly. Use the tips of your fingers to gently massage your hair. The massage will also increase blood circulation to your hair.
- Repeat weekly. No treatment lasts forever, so make sure you repeat your treatment frequently. Beware not to repeat too often either: stick to a maximum of 2-3 times per week.
- Use a spray. A spray bottle will help distribute the oil in smaller quantities more evenly throughout your hair.
Did you like this article? Read on and find out all about the general health benefits of olive oil and discover VillaBlanca’s award-winning organic extra virgin olive oils: