Enjoy this gorgeus recipe and use our Green Variety to give it a unique flavor.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes- 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour – 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Serves: 8-10
- 1 cup VillaBlanca Green Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1-⅔ cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 4 oz ground almonds
- Finely grated zest 1 large orange and ½ cup orange juice
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Icing sugar, for dusting and grated orange zest for decorating
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp golden caster sugar
- 4 small oranges
- ¼ cup orange juice
1) Preheat oven to 340° F. Brush the base and sides of an 8’’ nonstick cake pan (2 1/4’’ high), with the olive oil, then line the base with baking paper.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar, almonds and orange zest.
3) In a large jug, mix the oil, orange juice, and eggs, then pour into the flour mixture. Stir to combine to make a smooth batter. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top becomes too brown cover it with a piece of baking paper.
4) Allow cake to cool in the baking pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and remove the baking paper.
5) To make the caramelized oranges: using a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off the oranges. Using a downward slope, slice the skin away from the flesh. Cut each orange into about 5 slices.
6) Into a heavy-based frying pan, place the sugar in an even layer and heat until it starts to melt and turn a golden color. Swirl the pan from side to side to keep the caramel even. Once it reaches a dark gold, carefully add the orange juice (it will splutter). Keep on the heat and stir until all the lumps have dissolved.
7) Add the orange slices and cook for 2-3 minutes on a low heat until softened. Remove the slices to a baking sheet lined with baking paper, reserving the caramel.
8) To serve, dust the cake with icing sugar and add the orange zest. Serve in slices topped with the oranges and a pour of the caramel