All the flavor in this fresh recipe. Use our Blue Variety variety to give it a unique flavor.
- Serves: 4 as a starter
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 large red pepper + 1 large yellow pepper, both quartered with seeds removed
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 3’’ x 1’’ inch thick small slices of rustic bread, such as sourdough with olives
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 clove peeled and left whole and 1 clove finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp VillaBlanca Blue Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 anchovy fillets, in oil, drained
- Fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
1) Preheat the grill and place the peppers skin side down and cook for 4-5 minutes until the skins have blackened. Place in a food bag and allow it to cool slightly.
2) Meanwhile, halve the tomatoes. Place a sieve over a bowl and scrape out the seeds. Press the seeds in the sieve to extract as much juice as possible, then discard the seeds.
3) Peel the skin from the peppers and cut into thin strips. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces, then place in the bowl with the tomato juice, peppers, and finely chopped garlic. Stir in 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, toast the bread on both sides, preferably in a griddle pan, to create dark lines or under a preheated grill. Rub the surface with the clove of garlic.
5) Put the bread on a platter, then top with the tomato and pepper mixture. Arrange the anchovies over the top, drizzle with more olive oil and serve immediately, with extra black pepper and garnished with oregano leaves.